Wednesday, 30 March 2011
Mendoza... leave? Impossible!
So I've had a few problems lately trying to get to Chile. Its not so much that where I am or what I need to do is hard, its just getting on the darn bus that seems to be virtually impossible. I was booked to leave on Sunday, but then changed it because I stupidly didn't get my Yellow Fever shot back in Oz, and had heard that Argentina does them for free, so thought I'd change my ticket to the Monday with the plan of waking up early, getting my free jab then be off. All is well when I wake up nice and early, kiss my friend who has let me sleep on her couch the last few days goodbye, then took a taxi to the clinic. There I discovered that the jabs were free, which was great news, but unfortunately the shots are only available on Wednesdays between 8.30 & 12noon, and that the medicine is not free in Chile, and if I'm planning to go to Bolivia I need it at least 10days prior... shit! Raced to bus terminal, faked an illness, said with my extremely bad broken Spanish and some fine tuned sign language that I was not looking forward to my windy drive through the Andes, knowing that canceling my ticket within 3 hours of departure is the full ticket price, no refund. I figured if I could manage to change my ticket without having to pay it was meant to be that I stick around until Wednesday to get my much needed certificate. Well I manage to wrangle a free change of ticket, (thank you acting degree) YAY now I can stay in Mendoza and with my new friends a little longer. Walk back to my friends place to impose myself further on her hospitality, and happily get received back. So Tuesday night comes along nicely, just a few drinks at the Inter-cambion language exchange, then a little craziness starts up where shots and litre cocktails are bought, and the night is a shambles!! I manage to get my friend back to her place with the help of a very worried taxi driver going over bumps extremely slowly, not very Argentinian taxi-driver of him. I get her into bed and pass out on the couch. What seems like moments later I hear a terrible groaning in her bedroom, a little worried I go to give her a little comforting, and maybe a glass of water or a bucket... should've looked for them first, as when I managed to sit her up, she hugged me then proceded to vomit uncontrollably all over me and her bed... f%#k I have a bus in a matter of hours, but I also have a friend that needs me to sober up and look after her. I pick her up and take her to the bathroom. While I try sort out the bedding, yuck yuck yucky stuff. I sit down for a second to close my eyes, 'BANG' shit... What's happened? Find Australian born Singaporean business woman giggling and a little bit teary on the floor of the bathroom, shower curtain down around her. It was clearly her holding on devise while falling down idea, not the best plan perhaps, but she's ok, a few bumps to the head but she's clean and ok. Now for me to shower and go to bed. What 1/2hour before I have to wake up? But its still dark, buggar, thats ok, I need it. Close eyes. Open eyes, bright sun filtering in through the curtains, SHIT SHIT SHIT, find phone, 11.46am... What the hell?? Throw dress on, grab bag and keys and race to the taxi rank. Shit, 12.07am.... please be still open, get to clinic, fly upstairs, barge through the door, which looked heavier than it was and banged loudly as I tried to compose myself with a somewhat distressed 'Hola!!" The nurse and doctor are having a cup of tea together... The nurse smiles at me, says she heard an Australian might be coming in today, and sits me down to get the certificate made. Holey moley, I must stink, try not breathe on the poor lady trying to do her job, oh my goodness, what am I wearing? My Mum always said that you should dress nicely for the medical profession, she'd be appalled at what I'm wearing, and OH MY GOODNESS, my dress is inside-out!! The extremely lovely lady who doesn't seem to be judging me, which was very professional of her, leads me through to the large man, without the white tightly fit overcoat, would be casted perfectly as a great big South American couch-potato. With no words at all, and no gloves too I noticed, I was swiped with alcohol (great more, my body must love me) and a quick, painful jab, and I was on my way. Oh yeah, and my bus was at 9.30am, so back to my couch... where tomorrow, I will catch a bus to Chile... If its meant to be of course!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment