Friday, 15 April 2011

The Day After Hell! ...+ a Sucre Restaurant Review

After the day I had Yesterday, which I will write about in the next post I wanted to have a day to myself of a little Bolivian priced luxury. After a hot shower that actually included a razor for legs and pits, I put on my nicest dress (only one thats clean) and tights, with a purple neck scarf, with matching thongs (flip flops for the Poms) and sunnies. I got all my washing together, checked out of my Sucre Residencia that I found at 11pm last night, and set out to find a laundry. To my good fortune there was one directly across the road, 3kilos for 30Bs (Bolivianos, about $5). I don´t think the men here have seen a woman before, its as if I stepped back in the Middle East or Morocco again, I´ve had to use my scarf as a cleavage coverer before someone had an accident. I didn´t get any attention in Argentina and not much in Chile, but here where most the Bolivians are native/indigenous my lighter skin and height is popular again apparently. So walking around Sucre I felt like a coffee (cafe con leche) and finally after a search found a place that had outdoor seating with a patio courtyard through glass doors off the main street of Espana. The restaurant was closed as they were busy cleaning everything including every chair in the large nicely decorated dining area, but with my bad spanish I was able to ask for a coffee and sit outside. After my coffee which consisted of a sachet of instant coffee and a jug of hot milk, I paid my 5Bs (90cents) and set off for a little more exploring. I stumbled across a little hairdressing salon where again with my bad spanish, but perfect universal sign language I asked if I could get my caterpillas (eyebrows) waxed. Yep, for 15Bs I could. An excruciating fifteen minutes later I was off on another walk again, feeling much lighter in the brow department. I walked awhile, talked a little to locals, then found myself again out the front of the restaurant I was at earlier, which was lucky because I was busting for the loo and I always prefer a nice BaƱos (WC) over a publico squat with no toilet paper. When I went inside to do the honourary buy something because I just used your toilet thing, I saw what looked like the most delicious and colourful salad buffet, so I inquired about that then. I found out that it is part of the set lunch menu, where you serve yourself for the first course, then get a soup, a main meal, and lastly a dessert, all for 44Bs (about $8). I couldn´t possibly resist. So I took a sit, to stand right back up again for the self service, which had anyones flavour dreams catered for, but especially those health conscious or vegetarian, I decided to have one or a little of everything... Well, not disappointed, it was great. The rest of the courses came out promptly when the cutlery was put down, and I´ve gotta say, so far Bolivia has the best flavours for me in South America by far, as they actually do spicy and a homemade chilli salsa comes out at every place I´ve visited so far. Yay, for spices and flavour!! I finished up the eating with a fresh fruit salad topped with yoghurt, and couldn´t have been happier... Until I had my glass of red wine out in the beautiful quiet courtyard that is! One perfect lunch, costing me about $10 including tip, a bit of a slurge for here, but well worth it. Here the main meal is lunch too, so like Yesterday I will eat big during the daytime meal, and wont eat much tonight. That brings me to now, just filling in my time before collecting my freshly cleaned clothes... Gotta love clean clothes day!! Oh yeah, for anyone ever in the area, the restaurant is called La Fontana, on Calle Espana in Sucre, they have the set lunch menu for 44Bs everyday, with about 6 or 7 choices for mains, always including a vegetarian choice, or will if you can ask in spanglish, and about 3 choices for dessert. The drinks including cocktails and fresh juices will set you back around $1.50-$2. Open from 12noon to 10pm. As you can probably tell, I am recommending this place! =) Now for getting the courage to talk about my big day Yesterday.....

No comments:

Post a Comment